What am I going to do? Get an iPhone or an Android


So here is the situation: my employer has setup a Bring Your Own Device plan for smartphones. I get quite the nice refund and the difference between the refund and the actual price of the phone will be deductible on my taxes, to get that however I have to submit my declaration before December 31st of this year. So I sold my Galaxy SIII that came with my private subscription and now I am at a crossroads.
My girlfriend is en iPhone enthusiast and encourages me to get the iPhone. But I am used to Android and really enjoy the clean Android experienc Google presents on it's Nexus devices. So just to be sure I have ordered the iPhone 5 already, if I do nothing I will receive it in three weeks.
Now the dillema, Google and LG launched the Nexus 4, Ok it has no LTE, but it is better than iPhone 5 in almost every other aspect, even though I don't want a glass back-cover. It has Android 4.2 and we can safely say that iOS 6 isn't even close to Android 4.2 as innovation on user experience goes.
Then there's the iPhone 5, easily set the most beautiful handset ever built, sleek body, amazingly crafted screen and superlight, it has LTE so feels future proof, maybe it will last me more than 2 -3 years. But then I get stuck in Apple's web of software-ecosystem control.
So what do I choose, the superficially perfect yet softwarewise aging iPhone which could be a daily driver for more than 2 years or do I go for the half the price LG - Google Nexus 4 that has amazing hard and software but a glass back-cover that I don't want and which will likely last me only 2 years.
2 years is an incredibly long time at the current rate of improvement for these devices, so I actually don't want to decide based on what's there now, I want to base my decision on what will come, on what is on the software drawing boards right now and next year.
The decision doesn't come easy. So what I actually would want to know is 2 things:
- When is the Nexus 4 coming to NL?
- What is the software future for Android?
- What is the software future for iOS?
- For how long will you support these devices?
Please Apple and Google shed some light at this because Microsoft is also adding to the complexity here!

*image courtesy of: IBTimes

Comments

Popular Posts